The “Chicken Dance” is an oom-pah song originally titled “Der Ententanz” (The Duck Dance). It went through a few more titles before ending on the “Chicken Dance”. The song was composed by accordion player Werner Thomas from Davos, Switzerland in the 1950s.
Do the Chicken Dance!
Stand facing a partner.
- When the music starts, hold your hands out in front of you and open and close them like a chicken beak four times.
- Put your hands in your armpits and “flap your wings” four times.
- Place your arms and hands down “like the tail feathers” and wiggle down to the floor on a beat of four.
- Now clap four times.
- Repeat 4 more times.
- Now clasp arms with your partner and swing in a circle.
- After an 8 count switch directions.