Aquamarine means “sea water”. It is part of the beryl family and the colors vary from blue to bluish green. Aquamarine is found in the United States, Columbia, Brazil, Russia, South Africa, Rhodesia, India, Pakistan, Zambia, and Ceylon.
Aquamarine is the traditional birthstone for March.
Luster: vitreous-resinous| Hardness: 7.5-8.0 | Density: 2.7
Legends & Lore:
- It was believe that the oceans energy was harnessed inside this gem and sailors wore amulets of aquamarine to give them courage and strength while at sea. The stone would gain strength when submerged in water.
- It is also believed to help enhance communication skills, creativity, and self-awareness.
- During the Middle Ages it was believed to give the wearer foresight and to help those with eye problems are sight problems.
- King Solomon is said to have worn one in his breastplate of the 12 holy gemstones.
- It is Colorado’s gemstone.