Jade actually refers to three minerals: Jadeite, Nephrite, and Chloromenlanite. It is semi-opaque or opaque. It comes in off-white to grayish-white, brown, yellowish-brown, orange-yellow, reddish-orange, lilac, blue-gray, and various shades of blue and green.
Jade is the mystical birthstone for March.
Legends & Lore:
- Jade is believed to aid in relaxation, to bring good luck, health, and fortune.
- It was believed that lying jade on the the lower back or sides would cure kidney disorders.
- Mayans mined jadeite in Guatemala and making it into weapons and tools.
- The Maoris in New Zealand used nephrite weapons.
- In China, it is believed the secret virtue of jade is absorbed into the body when handled.
- Jade is the gemstone for Alaska and Wyoming.
- It is also the gemstone for British Columbia, Canada.