The word sapphire comes from the Latin sappheiros meaning blue stone. Sapphire comes in a variety of colors (blue, orange, yellow, violet, green, white and pink). Unless stated otherwise sapphire is understood to be blue. Color changing sapphires vary from blue to violet depending on the light.
Sapphire is the traditional for September, the ayurvedic for August, and the mystical birthstone for May.
Luster: vitreous | Hardness: 9 | Density: 4.0
Legends & Lore:
- Sapphires are believed to bring spiritual enlightenment, inner peace and clear thinking.
- Kings wore sapphire to protect them from harm.
- Sapphire engagement rings mean commitment and loyalty of the heart.
- Prince Charles gave Princess Diana a blue sapphire engagement ring.
- Sapphire is the gemstone for Montana.