Pearls are formed when an irritant such sand granules are taken in by mollusks. Cultured pearls are created when people introduce the irritant to the mollusks. Pearls are commonly white however they may also be brown, silver, cream, black or pink depending on the type of mollusks and the water it lives in.
Pearl is the traditional and ayurvedic birthstone for June and the mystical birthstone for November.
Legends & Lore:
- Pearls are believed to eliminate emotional imbalances and to aid stomach, spleen, intestinal tract and ulcer problems.
- An old legend says that to impress Mac Anthony, Cleopatra placed a pearl in a glass of wine and when it dissolved she drank it.
- Pearls were thought to be the tears of God.
- Pearls are referred to as the “Queens Gem”; (diamonds are the “Kings Gem”).
- An old legend as told by Pliny suggested that oysters rose to the surface of the sea beneath the moons rays, opened their shells and were fertilized by drops of dew creating pearls
- “Roman pearls” are really glass bead pearls.
- Gemstone for Kentucky and Tennessee.