Moonstones are Potassium Aluminium Silicate. They may be colorless, white, yellow, orange, green, pink or gray. No matter the color they have a white or blue sheen. They may be transparent or translucent or anywhere in-between. The best is considered to be colorless with a blue sheen.
Moonstone is the traditional and mystical birthstone for June and the ayurvedic birthstone for September.
Luster: vitreous | Hardness: 6 | Density: 2.5
Legends & Lore:
- It is believed to soothe and balances emotions; encourages inner growth and strength.
- Romans thought it changed with phases of moon.
- In India the moonstone is regarded as a sacred stone and believed to bring good fortune.
- Moonstone is said to balance yin and yang.
- State gemstone for Florida and New York.