Ruby comes from the Latin word rubber meaning “more red”. Rubies comes in a many shades of red, it depends on the chromium and iron content of the stone. It is the second hardest mineral known to exist, diamond is the first.
Ruby is the traditional, mystical,and ayurvedic birthstone for July and the ayurvedic birthstone for December.
Luster: vitreous | Hardness: 9 | Density: 4
Legends & Lore:
- Ruby is known as the love stone, it is given to open the heart, reconcile lover’s quarrels, express passion and promise love.
- It is believed to stop hemorrhaging and inflammatory disorders.
- Ruby is the gemstone for Wisconsin.
- If worn on the left hand or as a brooch on the left side the wearer would live peacefully with his enemies.
- An ancient verse: “The gleaming ruby should adorn, All those who in July are born., For thus they’ll be exempt and free, From lover’s doubts and anxiety”.