Peridot is known at the volcanic gem because it is formed during volcanic eruptions. Olive green in color it has also been found in meteorites. It is the only precious gem know to exist in outer space.
Emerald is a traditional birthstone for August.
Luster: vitreous | Hardness: 6.5-7 | Density: 3.3
Legends & Lore:
- It protects the wearer against nervousness and helps liver and adrenal functions.
- According to legend, pirates favored this gem as they believed it would protect them against evil; when set in gold it also protected the wearer from terrors in the night.
- In Hawaii, peridot symbolizes the goddess Pele’s tears. Pele is the Hawaiian fire goddess. She lives in Mount Kilauea.
- Tiny grains of peridot are found in some black sand beaches in Hawaii.
- Peridot was thought to be “the gem of the sun” by the Egyptians. To be an effective talisman it was always set in gold.
- Legend has it that peridot was searched for by miners at night, bu dug up in the daylight.
- Peridot is the gemstone of Nevada.