It is believed the name topaz comes from the old Sanskrit word tapaz meaning fire. Most people thought that all topaz was golden when in fact topaz may be found in yellow, brown, beige, orange, red and green. There are also pale pink, sherry red and blue varieties. Another thought is that the name comes from Topazios, the name of the Island of Zabargad in the Red Sea. Yellow topaz is associated with November. Principal sources for Topaz are Brazil and Nigeria.
Yellow topaz is the traditional stone for November and topaz (no associated color) is the ayurvedic stone for November.
Luster: vitreous | Hardness: 8 | Density: 3.4
Legends & Lore:
- Topaz protects against evil, strengths intellect, prevent bad dreams and promotes fidelity.
- One who wore topaz and thought really hard could become invisible.
- Ancient Egyptians believed Ra, the Egyptian sun god, gave the stone its golden yellow color and wearing topaz would protect the wearer from harm.
- It was believe to aid/remedy asthma, insomnia, burns and hemorrhage.
- In 13th century was worn exclusively by royalty and clergy.
- Topaz is the gemstone for Texas and Utah.