March 11 and September 26 are both Johnny Appleseed Day. Johnny Appleseed Days are in October, and Johnny Appleseed Festivals are held in October and September.
Johnny Appleseed was a man called John Chapman. He was an American pioneer and nurseryman who introduced apple trees to large parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, as well as the northern counties of present day West Virginia. He became an American legend while still alive, due to his kind, generous ways, and his leadership in conservation.
Johnny Appleseed Day
- He was born on September 26, 1774 in Leominster, Massachusetts. This date honors his birth.
- He died on March 11*, 1845 in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This date celebrates his apple contributions as it is close to the planting season for apples.
Johnny Appleseed Days are held in Paradise, California. It’s a two day festival in October that celebrates the town rich apple heritage. It was first held in 1888.
Johnny Appleseed Festivals
- Fort Wayne, Indiana holds a two day festival in September. It was first held in 1974.
- Lake City, Minnesota holds a festival in early October.
Celebrate with apples! Go apple picking and make a pie.
*The actually date of his death is unknown. Many papers at the time recorded and circulated different dates.
Celebrate with goodies from Zazzle
Error: Failed to write data to '/home3/webholid/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pizazz/cache/fded915328c5b3b5cad032f210f17e463735d078.rss'.
- Paradise Ridge Chamber of Commerce
- Johnny Appleseed Festival, Inc.
- Lake City Chamber of Commerce