December is National Fruitcake Month.
A whole month to celebrate a dense cake made with chopped candied fruit/dried fruit, nuts, and spices, and probably soaked in spirits.
Fruitcake Statistics & Trivia
- The Collin Street Bakery, world renowned for fruitcakes, in Corsicana, Texas, USA sells about 3 million pounds of fruitcake each year, which equates to 1.5 million individual cakes. 98 percent of the bakery’s total sales is in fruitcakes.
- 47% of Americans toss it
- Fruitcakes can age up to 25 years and still be enjoyed (as long as they have the right preservatives and are stored in tightly closed tins).
- Corsicana, Texas and Claxon, Georgia both claim to be the Fruitcake Capital of the World.
- Rural Southern communities had a surplus of cheap nuts in 1935, so lots of nuts were added to fruitcakes,and the the expression “nutty as a fruitcake” was coined.
- There is a Society for the Protection and Preservation of Fruitcake.
December 17, 2014 12 December