It’s an odd title, but we interpret it as “eat like a vegetarian” day.
A vegetarian diet is one that abstains from the consumption of meat (red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal), and may also include animal by-products.
There are many types of vegetarians–
- Ovo-vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products
- Lacto-vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs
- Ovo-lacto vegetarianism (or lacto-ovo vegetarianism) includes dairy products, eggs, and honey
- Jain vegetarianism includes dairy but excludes eggs and honey, as well as root vegetablesVeganism excludes all animal-related products including honey
- Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables (or partially cooked vegetables)
- Fruitarianism permits only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant
- Sattvic diet (also known as yogic diet), a plant based diet which may also include dairy (not eggs) and honey, but excludes anything from the onion or leek family, red lentils, durian fruit, mushrooms, blue cheeses, fermented foods or sauces, alcoholic drinks and often also excludes coffee, black or green tea, chocolate, nutmeg or any other type of stimulant such as excess sharp spices
- Macrobiotic diets consist mostly of whole grains and beans.
Stuffed Peppers fit the bill! And they are a great winter dish.
Stuffed Peppers Recipe
1 cup brown rice
4 orange or yellow bell peppers, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup diced onions
1 clove garlic
2 tomatoes, diced
1 to 1-1/2 cup broccoli florets
1 cup red beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
Place peppers cut-side down on the baking sheet.
Roast 25 to 30 minutes or until tender and skin starts to brown.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes.
Stir in garlic, then add tomato, broccoli, beans, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in cooked rice until heated through.
Remove from heat.
Mix in feta cheese and basil, then spoon the mixture into the pepper halves.
Return to the oven 5 minutes.